Saturday, April 21, 2012

From the Shelf: Holy Howling...Gatsby?!?

I've come to the conclusion that I need to read The Great Gatsby. I left the public school system before I was hit with the mandatory reading factor for this book. Then at home I was left to 'while away' my American Literature class picking my own reading material. Although, how Twain fit into this reading list I'll never know because I NEVER would have picked to read his stuff willing. Left to my own devices, I read Whitman, Alcott, Thoreau, Emerson, Twain (bleck!), O'Henry and more. Somehow I never thought to read F. Scott Fitzgerald. Now he keeps being thrown at me by various people and online sources as the 'Greatest American Writer of All Time'. I can't argue much with people on this point having never read a single thing by him. I own the book, but it has always graced my shelves as what I like to call 'Shelf Candy'. I'm ashamed to say even my youngest brother has read The Great Gatsby and never one to allow my brother to have one over on me, this made it final. I will be reading The Great Gatsby. Heck, if I can suffer through On The Road then I can certainly muster the stamina to read F. Scott Fitzgerald.


For more of Pete's bookish thoughts and writings follow her musings on Google+ or her blog. Stay tuned for more From the Shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment